One of the more productive tools to make high-level executive contacts has turned out to be blogging. Many savvy job seekers are now including blogs as part of their research and networking strategy to find executive positions. Likewise, recruiters are using blogs to network with candidates and build a talent pipeline, while executive search firms are using blogs to identify and research candidates. Blogging has many useful applications that enable executive job seekers to:
- Research a company and determine the corporate culture.
- Network and make contact with a blogger in your target company.
- Research a company’s services and products and technological developments to assess how solid your target company is in the marketplace and how well positioned it is for growth.
- Increase your visibility on headhunters’ radar screens by keeping your credentials fresh in the minds of search professionals who are searching for talented executives.
- Build a personal online brand and become a high-profile performer in your industry.
- Position yourself as a valuable resource with a record of solid, provable accomplishments that attract career-building opportunities.
Blogging is particularly attractive to executive job seekers who have few top-level contacts with whom they can network, affording them an opportunity to open conversations with decision makers in target companies.
Establishing a blog is a relatively straightforward process that even non-technical professionals will find manageable. As a job seeker, you can approach blogging from one of the following two perspectives:
- Post comments on established blogs.
- Create your own blog that offers valuable information to your target audience, thereby establishing you as a thought leader.
Either approach will promote your brand and position you as a thought leader in your field.
This brief article is an excerpt from, Landing An Executive Position.
*This article may be republished with written permission. If you are interested in posting this article on your blog, please email me at Beverly@HarveyCareers.com. I will respond within 2 business days with my required signature and credits.